Can you help preserve El Cerrito history?
1) Do you have any pictures showing panoramas, old-time buildings, or businesses in El Cerrito that we could copy?
- or any milk bottles/caps from El Cerrito, or other memorabilia that we could photograph?
- or any old “TEPCOware” that you would be willing to donate to the Historical Society or that we could photograph?
- or any other memorabilia that you would be willing to donate to the Historical Society or that we could photograph?
2) Do you know how or why any of the streets in El Cerrito have the names they do?
3) Do you know or have information about any of the following businesses, individuals or their relatives:
Mr. B F Denton (Beverly), owned Denton’s Fuel & Feed; cousin or brother owned Denton’s candy store
Jean Helsdorn (took over Denton’s Fuel & Feed?)
Other fuel & feed stores in El Cerrito
What construction company built the dog track??
Neil Corey, son of Frank, who owned Corey’s hardware in Albany
McKee & Hamilton Foundry/Machine shop
Charles Collins (superintendent at Hutchinson Quarry)
Fred Seavey (involved with brickyard)
William Grafton Worthington, President of Boericke & Runyon
Dr. Lyle Wellman, COO of Boericke & Runyon
Donald Jagger, GM at Boericke & Runyon
Donald Goldberg, chief pharmacist at Boericke & Runyon
Mr. Louis Davis, was on the city council, Western States Fuel & Feed
Mr. Bryon; Capellis family; Joe Lagel; Mr. Shevlin
John Neuner (worked at Federal Builders Supply)
Freeman Nichols (worked at Federal Builders Supply)
Ferris Fuel & Feed
Klier Brothers/Klier Brothers Lumber
Burg’s & Gishes of Gish’s furniture factory (Manila and San Pablo)
Henry/Emile/Paul/Bertha/Caroline/Magdelina Eckmann, their father had a butcher shop about Navellier & Scott
Christine Sonke Robinson, Helena Sonke, their mother taught piano and their father ran Sonke dairy
Estrella’s pig farm (behind Portuguese Hall); A. E. Donnelly
The Brotherton family; Ed Pedro, “Eddie’s Barrel Yard”, also had feed & fuel
John Carrick (founded EC Mill & Lumber and later sold it to Elmer Freethy) or his daughter Charlotte
Mr. Holcomb – started Albany Mill & Lumber on Central Avenue?
Tony Lombardo family/poultry ranch; Zecka family
Krislovich/Kristavich family; Bertolotti family
Jack Lord; Keller Ranch; Botini family
John Balra, had friends by the name of Carlsen who lived on Colusa
Glassen kids; their dad farmed the area north of Gladys. Jimmy was a fireman & lived on Richmond near Eureka;
Mary Ellen lived in Alameda, married pianist about 1930; Irene married Joe White about 1970?
Sperikes Sterites; Liberty Poultry Ranch
Anyone 85+ years old who grew up around El Cerrito
3) Do you know or have information about any of the following people/dairies:
Home Dairy – Hinds, Phipps, Schwarz
Thank you for any help you can provide!
PO Box 304, El Cerrito, CA 94530